META is responsible for the European Commission's Policy Learning Platform for Research and Innovation.
The Policy Learning Platforms are part of the EC's Interreg Europe Programme, which helps regional and
local governments across Europe
develop and deliver better policy. By creating an environment and opportunities for sharing solutions, Interreg Europe helps ensure that government
investment, innovation and
implementation efforts lead
to more sustainable impact
on the ground.
Through its Policy Learning Platform, Interreg Europe aims to improve the implementation of regional development policies and programmes, in particular Investment for Growth and Jobs and European Territorial Cooperation (ETC) programmes.
Policy Learning Platforms are a new feature to Interreg Europe, and open up the programme’s knowledge to benefit all project partners and the wider community of regional policy stakeholders.
There is one platform for each Interreg Europe policy area:
- Research and innovation
- SME competitiveness
- Low-carbon economy
- Environment and resource efficiency.
Launched in October 2016, each platform is run by a team of 24 thematic and communication experts.
They are a hub of interaction, information and services for continuous learning. Each convenes a Community of Interest, composed of policy makers, practitioners and experts dealing with regional development policies in Europe, and helps them improve the way they design and implement their public policies in the above areas.
META's role: Research and Innovation
META is in charge of the Policy Learning Platform for Research and Innovation, empowering public authorities to improve their policy instruments in this vital field.
About 85% of productivity growth in advanced economies is driven by innovation, so Interreg Europe helps regions develop their capacity to innovate, transform and adapt. The challenge is to create the conditions for 'smart growth', as envisioned in the Europe 2020 strategy: high quality research and innovation, advanced infrastructure, skills and entrepreneurial drive.
META therefore helps deliver the Research and Innovation (R&I) platform's four key components:
- Knowledge and Education Centre for relevant policy recommendations, thematic studies, reports, evaluations, EU policy news, databases of good practices etc.
- Networking and partnering opportunities including organisation of relevant activities and events, database of practitioners and owners of good practices etc.
- Expert Helpdesk for policy advice, upon request for targeted advice and guidance to improve public policies design and implementation.
- Expert support for policy learning, upon request including peer reviews, benchmarking exercises, thematic workshops, capacity building events, learning activities etc.